Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 2

I have run across numerous blogs of various natures while searching for something online. One I read last year (I think) was someone’s journal of the move from Atlanta to rural West Virginia to homestead- raising all their own food. I can’t remember how I found that one, but I grew up in WZV and now live in GA, so it was fun to read. I have friends who have blogs about their families; I was downloading digital scrapbooking freebies the other day and found some of the designers are now including them on their blogs.
I haven’t really done much of my own blogging; I feel like I don’t have time with keeping up with my own family and my students and such, but I found some interesting examples while browsing those listed for us.
Some thoughts on two of them:
12. Why Can’t We Do This?
I don’t know if I like the idea of a tax on plastic bags- not because the government is telling us what to do, as one comment said, but because it could be a VERY expensive trip when I forget my reusable bags!
4. SP-817 Math Blog: Boeun's Scribe for December 4th
I love the idea of having a student write a review of what happened during the day in class. It’s a great resource for absentees or for students who want to refresh their memories of homework assignments. Plus, the scribe has a chance to put together some resource material for classmates, an invaluable experience for those who do the searching. We all know that teaching is the best way to learn! And, I’m assuming, the scribe chooses another student for the next day? Interesting idea…
I appreciated comments made by educators about learning and the profession, SSR online- cool idea, if you have enough computers in your room! I’m feeling inspired to incorporate blogging in my classes. I actually had started one last spring for my astronomy classes for us to communicate about our stargazing activities. Students were supposed to observe the sky for 15 minutes a week and write about what they saw, so I thought maybe starting a blog with my own observations would help inspire them to get out and look, and then we could develop a conversation about what we saw. We didn’t get far with it, but I’ll try again next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment