Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing 10

I was amazed how many images I could find, even under Creative Commons, for all the words I searched. I mostly searched biology words; I thought something generic like "babies" or "animals" would give me so many images I wouldn't be able to choose... and it would take me forever to look at them. (I have to see everything just to make sure I don't miss the one I really want!). I finally chose "chlorophyll" and only got over 600 images instead of in the tens of thousands. Wow, that's a lot about chlorophyll! I was thinking about an article I have my students read about the changing autumn leaves due to the loss of chlorophyll, and thought some images of autumn leaves would make an interesting slide presentation with the article. The image shown here, by RooReynolds, is an amazing close up of a leaf. I thought it would be a good starting place to show the green from the chlorophyll.

2 comments:

  1. "(I have to see everything just to make sure I don't miss the one I really want!)"

    You sound like me! I get 10 pages of results in Flickr and can't bear to not look through all of them just in case "the one" is on the 10th page. It definitely takes some time to learn the art of searching Flickr, but when you find the gems it makes it worth the effort. Speaking of gems, I love the image you included in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's hard to help students understand the importance of good search terms. I have frequently found "just the page they needed" in one search, after they'd spent half the class looking! :)

    ReplyDelete