Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thing 19

Making the podcast was pretty simple. I think the biggest pain for me was the time in downloading and uploading everything. My computer is poky today. I embedded the player on my wiki page just to see how that worked. Not too bad.
I read a Dr. Seuss Book about reptiles for my podcast. I stumbled across a couple books from the Cat in the Hat Learning Library in my kids' collection- the books had been passed on to us from a friend. My son brought me a book about plants to read and, as I read to him, I realized the book had pretty much everything I would include in a lecture about plants. And since it's Dr. Seuss style, it's probably much more interesting to listen to than... well, a lecture on plants. So I started hunting to see what I could find, and there are several science topics covered. I'd love to buy them, but I'll have to find them used somewhere (with no shipping costs!) if I am to get all of the ones I want. Anyway, I discovered that the Gwinnett County Library has a bunch of them, so I checked them out and read some to my students. Remember, these are high school students. They mostly loved it- probably because they didn't take notes- but that was one of the problems. It's hard to substitute something like this for a lecture if they don't remember it or can't look at the pictures. So, unless some kind soul buys me class sets of all of the books, I'll have to come up with something else. I'm leary of scanning everything with all the copyright issues- though it would make it easy to present using an LCD projector! But if I could record them for the students to listen to, maybe that would be a start.
I stumbled a couple times in the recording, so I'll have to practice sound editing to complete the Dr. Seuss project. I've used Audacity a teeny bit, but it was a long time ago. So, on to learn more stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment