Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing 6

I've heard of the social bookmarking sites, but haven't really had a chance to figure them out. It's a welcome opportunity to get started, though. I laughed when I read the part in the lesson about emailing links to yourself. I do that all the time!! To add links, for now, I just started down my favorites list- I hope to experiment with importing later. I ran into a few problems on sites that use frames; Diigo's drop down box was hidden and I couldn't figure out how to get it on top. I was able to find, though, how to add bookmarks on Diigo's site, so that worked. I like the box better, though, because it suggests tags I have used as I start to type, so I don't have to do it myself. Unfortunately, I misspelled one of my tags initially, so I've figured out how to edit that. Yeeha. I tried inviting some friends, but I'm not sure if it went through with the verification part, so I did it the old fashioned (?) way and added email addresses in an invitation.
Check out what I've started! (http://www.diigo.com/profile/ananshoes)
I hope to make appropriate links available to my students. Can the links be made available at different levels of privacy? Such as, my friends outside school could see everything, but my students would only see content related stuff? Have to check that out....
We have a lot of webquests in my Astronomy class, so this will be a useful way for students to find the assignments I have for them, plus a great way for them to add to it with sites they find, as well.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that this website is a great idea! 10 years ago I probably would have never used Diigo, but since then I've built up a favorites list of sites that I recommend to my students for extra practice. This is definitely something I could use in and out of class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't "layers" of privacy unfortunately, but within Diigo, you can set your links to either private or public. If there are specific links that I want to share with people, I tend to use the "list" function. I LOVE the lists. You can create them by topic, by unit, or however you want them organized and then share 1 link to a list of bookmarks on that topic. It's very convienient!!

    ReplyDelete