Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 12

I looked at the collaborative note sites first. After seeing how teachers use wikis and other things for online study groups, I thought this would be a great idea to use for student collaboration without worrying about email addresses, activating accounts, and so on. I could put a link on the class website for each unit or within the class wiki so that students could add to it as needed. I liked notepub better because it's free and looked like it would be easier to get started. Doingtext is also free, but you have to sign up for a trial membership, then it converts to free later. Membership and "fees" generally freak out my students, so I'd rather use one that says it's free in larger letters than it says buy a membership.
I tried wordle, but it wasn't cooperating with me, so I'll go back later and try it again.
Of the concept mapping tools, bubbl.us looked like the one I'd like to use. I've used Inspiration before (and found their online tool, Webspiration, as well), and bubbl.us is similar to inspiration. Plus, I think the students will like watching the bubbles explode in flames when they're deleted. One of the options I give students for their reading assignments is a concept map, so this could be a useful tool for them to try and then post on the class wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment