Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing 5a

I've never been very good at skimming. I either read it fully or my eyes just move down the page and I get nothing. I've been trying, though, to just look for highlights in the things I see in Google Reader. The problem is, though, that I want to read everything that sounds interesting and there just isn't time for that!
In Free Technology for Teachers, I thought the Specra search engine tool might be a good thing to investigate for student use when searching for information. They really don't know how to decide what is valid information, and they always wonder why they need to keep reading when "everything says the same thing." With all they need to know about how to research, how to give credit and cite sources, how to recognize good sources, this search engine tool that ranks results across major search engines could be very useful.

3 comments:

  1. I'm the same way (not good at skimming) - I set my google reader to "show list" instead of "show expanded" - that way I have less there to read ... and that way the title and/or first sentence has to hook me in order for me to open it :-) Maybe that will help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea! Thanks, Nicole. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about the "show list" feature on Google Reader. I use the "star" feature to start blog posts that I don't have time to read but want to go back to later and read, based on title alone. That way I can simply ignore posts that I feel will be a waste of my time.

    ReplyDelete